Dominican Republic Official Calls Reports About Recent Deaths 'Fake News'

June 20, 2019
Categories: 

Days after another U.S. tourist reportedly died while on vacation in the Dominican Republic, one of the country’s health officials called reports about the deaths “fake news” crafted to harm the tourism economy.

Dominican Republic Ministry of Public Health spokesman Carlos Suero told Fox News all of the news about deaths of U.S. citizens is “a hysteria.”

“It’s all a hysteria against the Dominican Republic, to hurt our tourism, this is a very competitive industry and we get millions of tourists, we are a popular destination,” Suero said in the interview.

The Drive has contacted the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic for a response to Suero’s comments.

The comments come after a 55-year-old man from New Jersey reportedly died at the Terra Linda Resort last week. A CBS News report found he was the eighth American to die on vacation in the Dominican Republic in the last year.

Several reports suggest food and alcohol might be to blame for the deaths, but Suero told Fox that “the testing results are all negative.”

The U.S. State Department is monitoring the ongoing investigations. The department said more than 2.7 million U.S. citizens visit the Dominican Republic annually.

Follow @947TheDrive on Twitter and Instagram.

Related: Another U.S. Tourist Died Vacationing in Dominican Republic: Report

Tags: